Thursday, March 20, 2014

Lankesterella ceracifolia

This unusual miniature species is from Argentina and Brazil and is, if I am not mistaken, related to Cattleya.  The flowers are a little over half a centimeter and the plant with its rosette of waxy leaves is four centimeters.  The species name refers to the waxiness of the leaves.  The edges of the leaves, the flower spikes and the outside of the flowers are all covered with hairs. It belong to a genus of eight to ten species that are all very tiny.







4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pics Ron. This is a new one to me. You have got to love that lip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one I had looked for a long time and finally was able to get from Ecuagenera. I think I saw it originally in Rebecca Northen's book on miniature orchids.

      Delete
  2. It is a really original orchid!!! The photographs are magnificent. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a favorite of mine. There are a couple of other species I'd like to get, but this is the only one I've ever found.

      Delete