Saturday, November 24, 2012

Dendrobium subuliferum

This miniature species is from Papua New Guinea and belongs to the Oxyglossum group of Dendrobiums, a group of mostly high altitude species with very long-lasting flowers.  This is first-bloom seedling and has only one flower at present, but if happy can be very floriferous.  My plant, at present is 5 cm, but should grow a bit larger.  The flowers are 1 cm in size and have a sparkling texture which sets off the beautiful purple tip to the column.





8 comments:

  1. Maravilhoso.
    abraços e um lindo domingo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much for looking and commenting.

      Delete
  2. what a special dendrobium. thank you for sharing it's beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking my blog and taking the time to comment, friend.

      Delete
  3. Hi Ron, I just got this one and wonder about temps. You grow this together with cuthbertsonii or in a warmer place? I just read it would be a mistake to grow them in same conditions. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      I do grow this with D. cuthbertsonii but it has never flourished for me and I probably should give it slightly warmer temps. I had hoped that high light would negate the effect of temps somewhat as it does with cuthbertsonii, but at least until now it hasn't.

      Delete
  4. I have two plants that I purchased from Darrin Norton that I grow with my cuthbertsonii and cuthbertsonii hybrids under high light and cool/intermediate temps. They both have been flowering several times a year and seem to be thriving. I later purchased a flask of seedlings from Marni and only had room for the majority of the new compots in my intermediate temp grow area and while they are too young to flower, they have definitely shown accelerated growth compared to the one compot that I kept with the cool growers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know. I'll have to try again with it.

      Delete