Thursday, September 29, 2011

Dendrobium violaceum

Dendrobium violaceum is a variable species both in flower color and plant size.  This particular example is very large and has flowers that are also larger than some of the other plants of this species I own.  In this case the plant is 30 cm tall, one of the largest plants I have, and the flowers are 3.5 cm.  The plant comes from Papua New Guinea and the name violaceum refers to the color of the flowers.  These flowers opened not violet but pink and faded to the color seen in the photos.


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful Dendrobium Ron. I have enjoyed your blog very much the past couple of days since I found it. Including your orchidarium. Its inspired me to start a blog and attempt a orchidarioum in the future. The past year I have tried 3 New Guinea species including Den. violaceum. My luck with these has been very bad tho :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given the right conditions they are not that difficult (most of them), but if they don't like the conditions they do not do well. I give them cool temperatures and as high light as I can - the high light was a tip from someone who grows them in southern California.

    ReplyDelete